Inefficient filing systems and processes can cost your organization in a number of ways, from paying to store unnecessary documents, to longer file retrieval times; from increased compliance risks, to lost files affecting the speed and quality of business decisions. The consequences can become significant over time!
It’s no surprise, then, that we often get asked by clients what they can do to increase their filing efficiency.
The answer is often a conversion. While there’s no “one size fits all” strategy, TAB can plan and execute a number of different document conversions to help you get better at filing. This blog post takes a look at the different conversions and how we approach them.
1.0 How TAB does it
First, we take an inventory of your current records collections, so you know what exists and what you are missing. From that information, we create a database of your current files.
During a conversion, we will often apply bar codes to create a tracking system so you know where a file is. Bar code tracking also allows you to create an audit trail of who has or had a file in the past.
The right conversion process will depend on our clients’ exact requirements and objectives.
2.0 Document-level conversions
We can take a jumbled collection of documents and standardize the way it is organized.
During a document level conversion, our staff will audit and arrange file contents to ensure that all the necessary documents are present and put together in a consistent format. Those that are missing are identified and duplicates are eliminated. This ensures that you will have all the information you need with complete and compliant files.
3.0 File-folder conversion
Making conversions at the folder-level is an excellent way to make your information more efficient.
This can start with a switch to a color-coded, numeric system, which can reduce retrieval time by up to 40%, or converting your files from top-tab files to side-tab files for significant savings in physical filing space.
4.0 Imaging and electronic conversions
At TAB, we offer the following paper-to-electronic conversion services:
- Day-forward: we work with you to implement the right workflows and technologies so you can go from a paper-based process to an electronic format.
- Back file: we scan your existing paper records into electronic form.
- Scan-on-demand: we store your current records offsite at TAB, and scan and send them to you in electronic form as you request them.
With any of our electronic conversion services, TAB will:
- Perform quality assurance on all the images and related index data.
- Implement an electronic data retrieval system to ensure that the images can be viewed right away.
- Re-file the original physical records.
- Provide staff with the proper training and support they need to transition to the new system.
- Throughout the file consolidation or conversion, we’ll take care of all sorting, validation, and filing of your documents into the new system.
- Find out if imaging is right for your organization. This assessment tool will help you decide.
- Learn how to plan your document conversion with this imaging guide.
- Talk to a TAB representative about how we can help organize all your records, whether they’re paper or electronic.